Happy Monday all!
It’s officially spring and we had 3 inches of snow this morning. It appears I didn’t get my wish for 50 degree weather this weekend but Saturday’s high was about 45 so we’re getting close! This weekend I went to the local rec center and swam laps, one of my favorite things to do and then Sunday I ran 3.5 miles. Woohoo!
The swimming workout was one I found in Women’s Health magazine. I chose to not swim the main set just yet since I haven’t swam in about 6 months.
Despite the cold this weekend Mike and I made an awesome dinner Saturday of rigatoni and meat sauce (recipe is below) after a small meatball disaster. I had a genius idea Friday to make maple bacon pecan pancakes Saturday morning. The recipe is not ready for the blog world however the idea is still genius. Once I perfect it I will share it with you for your own enjoyment.
Sunday Mike and I went to the Ohio Theater to see the Rite of Spring, a performance by the Columbus Symphony and Ballet Met and it was wonderful! Also Sunday morning my nephew Jacob Mateo was born! He was ten pounds even and 22 inches long, whoa nelly! I’m officially an aunt and the world has a new Steelers and Penguins fan. :)
Isn’t he the cutest?
I hope you have a good week and if you’re interested in the Rigatoni with Meat Sauce and Meatballs, here is the recipe:
Rigatoni with Meat Sauce and Meatballs
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
chopped fresh basil
3 slices of bread
1/2 cup water
Italian bread crumbs
Jar of spaghetti sauce, your choice
8 oz rigatoni noodles
1. Soak bread slices in 1/2 cup of water for 3 minutes.
2. Add 2 eggs and mix well.
3. Add ground beef, italian seasoning, basil, garlic, oregano, parmesan cheese and mix well. The italian seasoning, basil, garlic, and oregano amounts are up to you, add as much or as little as you like, eyeball it! Add salt and pepper as well and if mixture is too soupy add breadcrumbs until mixture is more solid.
4. Heat oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan. Add half the beef mixture to dutch oven and brown meat. Add half the jar of spaghetti sauce and let simmer.
5. Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions minus one minute. When pasta is done add a ladel of pasta water to sauce and meat mixture.
6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and mold beef mixture into one inch meatballs. Bake in oven until brown, flipping once.
This wonderful recipe was created when we tried to cook the meatballs in the dutch oven but the meatballs were too soupy. So we created the meat sauce and made the meatballs for leftover subs during the week! This meatball recipe is my favorite because my mom made it at home and that’s saying a lot when my mom doesn’t like to cook!